This Thursday 3 April we’re holding a Community Law Australia Day of Action, and we want you to join in to help us show just what a difference community legal centres make in the lives of people with legal problems who can’t pay for a lawyer but can’t get legal aid.
Unmet legal need is growing rapidly in Australia, yet community legal centres are under increasing funding pressure to do more with less.
Our Day of Action is an opportunity to tell your story, to say “no” to legal assistance cuts, and “yes” to better funded and more accessible community legal centres for all Australians.
What you can do to help:
- Follow @CommunityLawAus on Twitter, tweet about the work you’re doing and the difference you’re making. Be sure to include the hashtag #unlockthelaw in your tweet (that helps us see what you’re tweeting). If you have room, you could also include #auspol or #auslaw.
Here are two example tweets:
A dying woman had her significant debts waived through free help from the Homeless Persons’ Legal Clinic #unlockthelaw
A body corporate was forced to repair an elderly woman’s leaking roof through free legal help from SunCoast Community Legal Service #unlockthelaw
- If you like, add a picture of your staff or the centre where you work.
- If you agree with our tweets, retweet them to your followers to help us spread the word. We’ll be retweeting yours.
- “Like”, comment on, or send us stories to post on the Community Law Australia Facebook page.
- Email us now at info[at]communitylawaustralia.org.au or share your story via our website to tell us about your work. Tell us if you’re happy for us to write about it on our blog, Facebook or tweet it. You might even be prepared to help us do some media.
If enough of us join in, our Day of Action will be a day of stories about the work of community legal centres, and a powerful case for why they need more support.
Community Law Australia Day of Action, Thursday 3 April 2014. Join us!